Due to a nasty Chinese Virus my computer at work died. As I just got a new Laptop (as shown in the post before) I’ll pimp my Firefox at work in the same way my laptop is pimped. The question here is not which browser to use, cause I’m in love with Firefox even though this might change someday, the time has not come yet.
Here’s what I’m using. If you have suggestions and ideas fell free to comment. I don’t think there’s such a thing as overpimping or too much comfort.
- All-in-one-sidebar: Is there for you when you need it, to control downloads, extensions, site information, chronic, bookmarks and so on. And disappears if you don’t need it.
- Better Gmail 2: I’ve totally forgotten what it changed because it’s not a big difference it just makes Gmail feel better.
- BlogRovR: I’m not sure about this one, but it doesn’t bug you so it doesn’t hurt installing it. 1. I don’t use it properly 2. I expected it to reduce the noise. It doesn’t but it structures it by suggesting the matching blog posts for the site you are on atm.
- Bookmark Duplicate Detector: I need it, actually I’d need more than that. I still haven’t found the perfect way to store and organize my bookmarks. Any suggestions?
- British English Dictionary: This helps a not native speaker like me a lot, but I could use some grammar advice too.
- Clipmarks: You can just select the parts of the site you need to blog, send, print. Unfortunately it ruined the blog design.
- German Dictionary: It doesn’t hurt to make sure your German blog posts have the right spelling
- Evernote Web Clipper: If you are using evernote its the right choice. A smart notebook you can share or just store the stuff you find till you need it for a post.
- Read it later: A button to bookmark pages in a “read it later” folder. Very useful.
- Shareaholic: Share stuff easier, faster.
- Time Tracker: I was curious (I was surfing 178h last month, this means the browser is open and active about 6 hours a day. Wah! Do I have a life? I need a Firefox application to find that out)
- Yoono: Intended to socialize your browser I basically use it to follow twitter, flickr and facebook updates in little boxes which appear in the corner of my browser. The sidebar could get a bit smaller for my taste and limited use.
- Foxsaver: Turns Firefox into a Screensaver showing for example you flickr photos, I don’t use it any more because it made Firefox crash a couple or times and I don’t really need this feature.
Bottom line: Addons have to be subtle, easy to use and they need to disappear if you use them. Toolbars make me crazy. If I want a toolbar I’ll search for one. If I want Stumble upon I want the features not a toolbar. If an Addon wants me to read the manual it will never ever be used.